Summary of Hospice Programs and Services
Hospice is an interdisciplinary approach to caring for patients with an advanced illness. It improves quality of life, ensures proper pain management and offers psychosocial support for the patient and their family. Patients may receive hospice services if the referring physician and the hospice both certify that the patient has a prognosis of 6 months or less if the illness runs its expected course.
Services we can offer your patients include:
The services we provide are based on individualized needs. These services may include:
- Visits by members of the interdisciplinary team: hospice physician, registered nurse, social worker, spiritual care support, creative arts therapist, home health aide and volunteers.
- Medical and nursing management of the physical symptoms of your patient’s illness.
- Emotional and spiritual support / counseling for the patient and primary caregiver(s).
- Medications, medical equipment including oxygen, supplies and durable medical equipment.
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, speech language pathology, dietary counseling and laboratory services, as appropriate and with hospice physician approval.
- Routine Home Care — In the comfort of the patient’s home…whether it is a private residence, assisted living facility or skilled nursing facility.
- General Inpatient Care — In an inpatient unit or skilled nursing facility when efforts to manage symptoms are ineffective.
- Continuous Care (a.k.a Crisis Care) — In the patient’s residence during a symptom crisis for at least 8hrs a day and up to 24hrs
- Respite Care — In a skilled nursing facility for caregivers who are unable to provide care
Creative Arts Therapy
Includes music and art therapy that helps reduce stress and anxiety, elevates mood and allows patients and families a creative outlet for expression.
Ethics Review Committee
Provides extra support in understanding the different approaches to caring and how these choices fit with family values and beliefs.
We Honor Veterans
Recognizes Veteran patients who served in the military to defend the freedom of others. We consider it a privilege to care for Veterans with a focus on respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgement. Staff are specifically educated in delivery of person-centered, trauma-informed care with an understanding of the military culture. An MJHS Veteran Liaison supports the needs of patients and their families and assists with access to Veteran benefits and entitlements.
MJHS Hospice is proud to be recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) as the first We Honor Veterans Level 5 Partner in the NY Metropolitan area and serves as WHV mentor to other hospices.
Provides care for all Jewish patients in accordance with their spiritual values and religious beliefs. Some components of the program include:
- Holocaust Survivor Care — provides respectful person-centered, trauma-informed care to Holocaust Survivors and their families from staff who are educated in and sensitive to the Holocaust history, its lifelong impact and how it may affect the end-of-life experience.
- Assistance with funeral planning and coordination with the Chevra Kadisha can be provided in order to facilitate burial within 24 hours.
- Halachic Pathway – assures Jewish patients and families that their designated rabbinic advisor (or Posek) will be included in the medical decision-making process. When requested, assistance with suggesting appropriate rabbinic advisors can be provided.
- Cultural and spiritual practices and traditions are marked by MJHS’s Rabbinic Pastoral Care Providers in honor of the Sabbath and Jewish holidays.
- Assistance with the recitation of Kaddish (mourner’s prayer) can be facilitated.
LGBTQ+ Sensitive Care
Aims to create an affirming and welcoming environment for patients and families through education and advocacy. With partnership and education from SAGECare we hope to continue to set industry standards and best practices for the LGBTQ+ community.
MJHS holds a Platinum Level Credential with SAGECare in LGBTQ Aging Cultural Competency.
We can help you with your patient’s needs assessment.